Which Mustangs came with the TR3650?
2001-2004 Mustang 4.6 GT (The TR3650 appeared mid-year
2001. Earlier models used the T-45)
2001-2002 Mustang 4.6 COBRA (The 2003 & 2004
COBRA use the T-56 6-speed)
2005-2010 Mustang 4.6 GT (These have a different input
shaft, output shaft and use a hydraulic clutch)
Most all TR3650s have the 0.68 fifth gear, but some came with the 0.62 fifth gear.
It seems generally that the 2001 units have the 0.68, the 2002-2004 units have
the 0.62, and the 2005-2010 units have the 0.68 again. An optional 0.74 fifth gear can be installed in our TR3650s at an extra charge,
but this is subject to availability, as this part has been discontinued.
The 01-03 TR3650s have an inherent
weakness in the design of the second gear synchronizer.
symptom involves poor shifting into second when
the transmission is cold.
This scraping will eventually cause the second
gear to wear prematurely resulting in the need for a rebuild.
Many early TR3650s have failed with the loss of gears three and four, or had
problems in those gears. We address these problems with new synchro rings,
double-hardened fork pins, and the bronze fork pads.
ALL of our TR3650s include a redesigned 1-2 synchro assembly, a redesigned second gear, and
a stronger 1-2 shift fork to fix these problems. The plastic shift fork
pads on gears 1-4 do not hold up,
so we use bronze pads for added
We offer the following Pro-Force upgraded TR3650s:
These are all available in 2001-2004 versions as well as 2005-2010
versions - please specify.
An exchange is required on all TR3650 transmissions, or a core charge will apply.
Pro-Force updated TR3650 - 360 ft/lbs - estimated 450 hp - $1,275.00
- This is the standard replacement unit with the improvements
Pro-Force HD Plus TR3650 - 400 ft/lbs - estimated 490 hp $1,375.00
- This is the updated unit plus the original 10-spline input shaft has been cryogen
Pro-Force Pro TR3650 - 550 ft/lbs - estimated 700 hp - $1,725.00
- This is the Heavy Duty unit plus it has a 26-spline input shaft.
- Note that a 26-spline input shaft requires the use of a High-Performance style 26-spline
Pro-Force Pro-C - 575 ft/lbs - estimated 725 hp - $1,975.00
- This is the Pro-Force Pro unit plus gears 1-3 have been cryogen
- Fourth gear is the 26-spline 9310 input shaft, which is already harder than cryogen
Pro-Force Pro-CR - 575 ft/lbs - estimated 725 hp - $2,275.00
- This is the Pro-Force-C with REM polishing for gears 1-4 as well
as the counter gear.
- REM polishing reduces friction and wear resulting in the "Edge" needed
Pro-Force Pro-X - 700 ft/lbs - estimated 1000 hp - $3,325.00
- This is an "updated" TR3650 with a CUSTOM GEAR SET
- The ratios are: 2.90, 1.91, 1.37. 1.00 and fifth gear will be either 0.53 or
- Custom fifth gear ratios are: (0.63 discontinued) and 0.69
- The input shaft with this gear set has 26 splines and requires a 26 spline
- Billet Bronze fork pads for gears 1-4
- Cryogen Tempered 3-4 Shift Fork
- "Gorilla" 1-2 Shift Fork
Pro-Force Pro-X Plus - 700 ft/lbs - estimated 1000 hp - $3,675.00
- This is the Pro-Force Pro-X with additional items:
- Custom Billet "Monster" forks for gears 1-2 and 3-4 instead of the
"Cryo and Gorilla forks"
Note: T-45s and 2001-2004 TR3650s use a different shifter base.
A 2001-2004 TR3650 is considered a direct replacement for a 1999-2001 T-45;
there is a tab on the extension housing that usually needs to
be ground off.
A 2001-2004 TR3650 can be used to replace a 1996-1998 T-45 with
the use of a
speedometer converter such as the Speed-Cal from Dallas Mustang.
Also, a custom, or modified cross member is needed such as
the one from Stifflers.
Conversely, a 1999-2001 T-45 can be used as a direct replacement for a
Replacing a TR3650 with a 1996-1998 T-45 is not advised, as I do not
an available speedometer converter for this configuration.